Voices in the Noise

 One result of my methods that always fascinates me is when human-like singing voices emerge from a manipulated mechanical sound source.  Extreme time stretches and multiple destructive editing processes can bring out what sounds like a distant chorus. The reason this happens sometimes, but not always, must have to do with the plugins defaulting to processing frequencies within the vocal range of humans since some of them are designed to do so. However, I don't have a solid answer as to why this occurs. I only know that it is one of the most rewarding and motivating phenomena I have encountered.

I do not attempt to increase the gain on those frequencies because it wouldn't work anyway as the sounds are so complex and the "human vocals" are embedded in a single sound source with a lot of other artifacts. Adding actual human voices or accentuating that by adding anything is definitely not what I am interested in doing. The subtlety of the voices as they are leaves them more open to sonic interpretation by the listener. The overall complexity of the sounds means you never really hear the same thing twice.  That has been one of the most rewarding aspects of actually listening to my own work after a period of time has passed.  Others have also said they hear new things with each listen.

A good example of very subtle voices is Remote Machine Terminus. Listen to it on soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/tantroniq/remote-machine-terminus

Popular Posts