Project S.E.T.A. Search for Extra Terrestrial Audiences - Update

 After a setback in my personal life and health, I have returned to completing programming for SETA, with new station identifiers and new tracks being added to the rotation. I plan to post tracks on Bandcamp and Soundcloud as well.

For those new to the site and the concepts behind SETA, the best way to understand my goal is to relate it to a sonic installation. If I could have a physically located installation for this, OR, if I could have a traditional broadcast radio station, I would be using those formats to achieve the same goals.

I create sonic experiences that take listeners to unexpected places. The inherent qualities of the sounds I create have a very different forward momentum from music made with some unusual sounds but within a genre that can easily be identified. As such, in a sense, I've had to create a new genre to develop the sounds into what they can become. My instinct and now decades of experience doing this are my only guides. 

It may help listeners to know that the music featured on SETA is 99% synth free, which is to say I did not use an analog or digital synthesizer to produce these sounds. I entered into this exploration of field recording and manipulation in a hard disk recording environment and never looked back. I am NOT anti synth. My DAW is mostly Cubase. I have acquired a lite version of Digital Performer which  I used to use for some of its plugins and features and look forward to exploring it again.

In no cases am I using a keyboard to trigger sounds. I have created a destructive editing method for audio and I hand place the audio in the timeline. This causes some headscratching from some musicians; that makes sense because traditional genres are supported by the same software I use which has features like any other DAW that allow you to work in a non destructive editing environment and very much within a time signature and sequence of events that can be triggered or automated.

My "genre" of music is what directs how I use the tools, not the other way around. I have a great fondness for music that is very different from what I create. I am driven to create sonic experiences that can only be achieved with my methods and new methods yet to be developed.

Popular Posts